Immanuel Evangelical Lutheran Church is an historic and centrally-located congregation - called, gathered, and strengthened by Christ’s Word and Sacraments - confessional in doctrine, evangelical in orientation, orthodox in liturgy, cosmopolitan in membership; serving the Terre Haute community and the students of Indiana State University and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology and reaching out to the nations since 1858 as a parish of the Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
God became man in Jesus Christ. The forgiveness won by His crucifixion, death, and resurrection is made yours through the Preaching of the Gospel, Baptism, Absolution, and the Lord’s Supper.
- …in the Triune God: Father, Son, and Holy Ghost;
- … that all men are in bondage to sin, death, and the devil, and are unable to make themselves right with God;
- … that Jesus Christ is true God and true Man; that He lived a perfect life for us, shed His blood for us on the cross to pay for our sins, and that He rose from the grave on the third day;
- … that the Holy Spirit delivers Christ’s forgiveness, life, and salvation to us through the Preaching of the Gospel, Holy Baptism, Holy Absolution, and the Lord’s Supper.
- … that men may obtain saving faith, Jesus instituted the Office of the Holy Ministry to continue His forgiving presence in His gifts of Preaching and the Sacraments;
- … that Jesus will come again on the Last Day to judge the living and the dead and to give eternal life to all who believe in Him;
- … that the Bible is the inspired Word of God and that the Book of Concord (the Confessions of the Evangelical Lutheran Church) and the three ecumenical creeds are a correct exposition of the Word of God.
Please be invited to call our pastor with questions or special needs. He would be happy to visit with you on the phone or to meet with you personally. Visitation based on the Scriptures is available by appointment.
The sick and homebound are visited regularly by the Pastor with the Scriptures and Holy Communion. Contact the Parish Office if you know of any parishioner in need of pastoral care.
Private Confession and Absolution is available on the third Thursday of each month from 5:00 - 6:00 PM, and by appointment.
Communicants are baptized Christians who have been instructed in and publicly confess the Evangelical Lutheran Faith. Please speak with the pastor before approaching the Altar.
ADULT STUDY AND SUNDAY SCHOOL for all ages is held on Sunday at 9:00 AM.
CATECHESIS (Christian Instruction): Instruction in the Christian faith as it is revealed in the Scriptures and confessed in Luther’s Small Catechism is offered for both youth and adults as announced.
LCMSU: Dinner and Bible Study for university students at Indiana State University and Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology is held on Sunday evenings at 5:30 PM throughout the academic year.
Membership at Immanuel
New members are received by Baptism, confirmation, transfer, or profession of faith. Instruction in the Holy Scriptures and Luther’s Small Catechism is required for all new members. Ask the pastor for further details.